Monday, August 07, 2006

Are you aware of the little details?

"Very few people really see things unless they've had someone in early
life who made them look at things. And name them too. But the looking
is primary, the focus."
— Denise Levertov

As I enjoy looking at my garden on this sunny summer morning, I become
aware of so much more than the leaves and the flowers blossoming. I
take note of the interesting edges on the petals, the small bug
crawling up a leaf.

I realized that I don't always look at the rest of the world this way,
rushing by seeing only the big picture or the usual views. The other
weekend, I looked at a corner that I have seen over and over yet
realized that I had never noticed that there was a graveyard tucked in
behind the bushes, so in the habit of looking only at the buildings in
front.

It reminded me that we all need to take the time to acknowledge all the
little parts of our lives. We need to remember to look at life and the
world around us in a different way. Slow down. Be aware of where we
are, what we see, what we feel. Sometimes there might be something
there that we just never noticed. And some times we may find that the
sum of all the little things is much greater than the whole.

No comments: